Before buying a test
Preparing for a test
Taking a test
About our tests
Conditions and symptoms
Partner with us
What do I need to do before I collect my stool sample?
The instructions you got with your test kit give you all the information you need to prepare for your stool test.
Here's our top tips to get you started.
- Follow your normal diet for at least one week before taking the test.
- Stop taking any probiotics 3 days before you take the test. Ideally wait 4 weeks after taking antibiotics before you take the test.
- The stool and spoon-lids must not come into contact with water or toilet detergents. Use the stool collector enclosed in the kit.
- Samples must be posted within 12 hours of collection, keep it cool meanwhile but no need to put them in the fridge.
- Only post sample back to the lab on Monday to Wednesday (do not post on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday).
- Hand the samples in at the Post Office branch, rather than simply leaving them in the post box.
Download our instructions for more advice