My GP has referred me to a gastroenterologist for a small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) test, shall I go down that route?

If you're going to see a gastroenterologist for a SIBO test, there are a few things to be aware of.

That's fantastic news! Most GPs don't recommend SIBO tests, so it's great to hear when they do.

Please check with them how the test is carried out: make sure it's a breath test and not a stool test. 

Also, keep in mind they usually only measure hydrogen over 1 or 2 hours (but not always), and private tests like ours look at hydrogen and methane, measured over 3 hours.

If you test positive through the NHS, they will give you conventional antibiotics, whereas we would give you herbal antimicrobials. Both methods have been proven to work to reduce levels of SIBO bacteria and SIBO symptoms.