While using Imodium every day isn’t necessarily harmful, there is potential harm that not dealing with the underlying imbalance is like putting a Band-Aid on an open wound.
In other words, that underlying imbalance could, if left unattended, develop into something more severe or contribute to more severe symptoms.
So it's important that if you’re using Imodium on a daily basis, that simultaneously you explore the underlying issues that have led to your chronic diarrhoea.
At Healthpath, we look to modulate and improve those root causes, and start with simple steps to relieve diarrhoea.
What can you do about diarrhoea?
- keep a food and symptom diary - to help you see patterns between foods and symotoms
- eating enough fibre - like vegetables, fruits, wholegrains, beans and legumes, to form your stool
- take probiotics - which are effective against diarrhoea caused by C. Difficile infection
What causes diarrhoea?
There’s no single cause for diarrhoea, but possiblities include:
- chronic stress
- thyroid issues
- food sensitivities
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- parasites or infections
- too much caffeine or alcohol