Understand how to prepare and take the sample for this test.
Preparing for your test
Do NOT take the test if:
- You have diarrhoea or gastroenteritis.
- You’re taking medication containing Movicol (Macrogol).
- You’re taking a diuretic.
- You’re taking the supplements Zinc or Vitamin C (stop 3 days before the test)
You must NOT stop taking any medication in order to take the test.
Test kit contents
- 1 x test instructions sheet
- 1 x patient request form
- 1 x 3g PEG dose
- 1 x antibacterial wipe
- 1 x empty sample bottle
- 1 x plastic transport tube
- 1 x pair of gloves
- 1 x return envelope
- 1 x freepost address label
- 1 x biological substance label
Taking the test
1. Check you have all the test kit contents using the list above, and fill in the request form
|2. After fasting for at least 3 hours, empty your bladder (a.k.a. do a wee)|
|3. Mix the PEG dose with 250ml water and drink immediately.|
4. Collect all urine passed during the next 6 hours into a convenient washed container. A container with a capacity of 1.5 litres (such as a washed water bottle, no soap ) works well.
5. Do not eat or drink anything for 2 hours after drinking the PEG dose. Make sure the last urine collection is exactly 6 hours after taking the PEG dose.
|6. If you can accurately measure the total volume of urine collected, you can return a small well-mixed sample in the empty sample bottle provided. Make sure you label the sample bottle with your name, PEG TEST, date of birth and the total volume of urine collected.
(This is important, as it's require for accurate interpretation of your results).
7. If you can't work out the total volume of urine collected, you can return the full sample. Clearly label the urine container with your name and date of birth and 'PEG TEST'.
|8. Place the sample in the plastic transport tube, ready for posting.|
Posting your sample
- Return your sample along with the completed patient request form and return to the laboratory within 72 hours. If there's any delay in posting, make sure you put the sample in the fridge.
- Attach your Biological Subtance Category B label and Freepost Healthpath label to the return envelope. The label only says 'Freepost HEALTHPATH' but rest assured, that's the only information the Post Office needs. Read about using Freepost for Healthpath tests.
What happens next?
Results take 10-15 working days from receipt of sample.
As soon as your results are ready, we'll send you an email and text to let you know.
You can then log onto your Healthpath account to view your results and see personalised recommendations.